Reading Cards for Young Learners – Card 15
- October 25, 2018
- Posted by: andy
- Category: Young Learner's Reading Cards
These cards are practice materials for young people who are learning English. They are set at elementary or pre-intermediate level.
Young Learner’s Reading Card
Yesterday, Patrick’s mother sent him to the market. She told him what to buy.
‘Buy me 2kg of tomatoes and 5kg of rice,’ she said. ‘Oh yes, and buy me half a kilo of sugar. Shall I write it down for you?’
‘No, I can remember, said Patrick.
He went to the market on his bicycle. When he got there, he told the woman what he wanted.
‘I want 5kg of tomatoes and 2kg of sugar. Oh yes, and I want half a kilo of rice.’
When he got home his mother was not very pleased with him.
‘You have a memory like a sieve,’ she said.
Then she started to laugh. ‘I know! I’ll send you to the shops every day I think. You need practice.’
Write out these sentences correctly:
Put the verb in brackets into the correct tense.
- Patrick’s mother (ask) him to buy things from the market.
- She (give) him some money to take with him.
- Patrick (cycle) to the market on his bicycle.
- He (say) that he wanted tomatoes and sugar.
- He (buy) the right things but he (do not) remember the amounts.
- When he (arrive) home, his mother (be) not very happy with him.
- She said that he (has) a memory like a sieve.
- Then she (start) to laugh.
- She (say) she would send him to the market every day!